Sold out

Hornby OO BR Patriot Class 4-6-0 45534 E. Tootal Broadhurst Era 4

Product Code: HOR-R3633
$279.99

In-stock items reflect online stock levels only and may differ in each store. Please contact us for item availability in store. Store transfers and holds available on request.

Based on the chassis of the Royal Scot class, with the boiler from the large Claughton class, the Patriot class of locomotives was the London Midland and Scottish Railways approach to building a Second Division 5X designation locomotive at the beginning of the 1930s, a role that would later be mainly fulfilled by the Jubilee class.In October 1930, the Locomotive Committee of the LMS gave the go-ahead to Sir Henry Fowler for the rebuilding of two Claughton locomotives, Nos.5971 and 5902, into a new class by utilising new frames, spare tenders and an existing type of boiler.

In August 1945, the LMS authorised the rebuilding of eighteen Patriots to 6P classification to meet the post-war needs of accelerated express passenger services. This was achieved by the fitting of 2A taper boilers and necessitated the replacement of the 3,500 gallon Fowler tender with a 4,000 gallon type. The opportunity was also taken to replace the rather narrow cab with a wider Stanier type.In all, fifty-two examples were built and whilst there were changes and improvements during the latter Stanier period and into the Ivatt, the introduction of BR Standard types was to force the classes withdrawal, particularly where the unconverted Patriots were concerned.

Withdrawal commenced in September 1960 with 45502 Royal Naval Division, the last of the class, 45530 Sir Frank Ree, being withdrawn in December 1965. None were saved for preservation. 5534 E. Tootal Broadhurst was rebuilt at Derby in April 1933 and re-entered traffic at Leeds later that month. Allocations to Longsight and Edge Hill followed, before the 6P conversion with the 2A tapered boiler came in December 1948, the penultimate Patriot to be converted. Now numbered 45534, E. Tootal Broadhurst was withdrawn from Crewe North in May 1964 after a period of storage.